Northumbria Hit Top Spot

Posted by Austin Orton

Northumbria Hit Top Spot
Photo courtesy of Stephen Baty

A top class team performance saw Team Northumbria overcome local rivals Heaton Stannington 3-0 as they jumped to the top of the Northern League Division Two table.

On football’s designated ‘non-league day’ TN more than lived up to their ‘entertainers’ label scoring three goals of real quality.

Two of the game’s goals came from the reliable source that is Dan Taggart who looks to be a tremendous acquisition to the side.

But this day was to belong to Kevin Carr who grabbed himself a goal and an assist against his former club.

“That goal was one of the best feelings I’ve had because I’ve always wanted to come back here and get one over them and I’ve done that today,” said Carr.

“Obviously they let me go a couple of years ago telling me I wasn’t good enough and to try it out at a lower level.

“Out of all the games that I would have wanted to score in it would have been this one here in front of the fans I used to play for.

“As Nick (Green) put the ball across I just wanted to get the first touch on it and hope it nestled in and luckily it did.

“The way it ended here wasn’t great. The manager sent me a message basically releasing me so there was a lot of passion and frustration in that celebration.”

Carr’s 12th minute opener showed just how fluid TN can be in the final third with some neat passing on the right side allowing Green to deliver a pinpoint cross.

Then with just 32 minutes of the game gone TN scored arguably their best goal of the game as summer recruit Taggart doubled the team’s lead.

An attack that was started by defender Rob Graney was finished off in a matter of seconds as Redford carried the ball with pace before feeding Carr who teed up the striker.

The second half was a different story as the Coach Lane side had to handle periods of intense pressure with the hosts looking for a way back into the tie.

But the stern defence of TN stood up to the task with Steven Mundy producing a string of top saves and Graney pulling off a tremendous goal saving block.

This shut out now means the club have gone 540 minutes without conceding a goal.

The game was rounded off in style when in the 90th minute Taggart was able to turn and finish smartly with his favoured left to get his second and the side’s third of the day.

Back to News